Friday, June 19, 2009

Real Artists Don't Skimp





I always tell people when you go to the festival at least bring enough money for the food. Some of it is a bit pricey but it is sooo good. Every year I get chocolate covered strawberries and a big chunk of chocolate covered English toffee to bring home.

Visiting the renaissance festival each year is a tradition in my family. We all have costumes and go in full regalia, packing kids and accessories into the wagon. I once suggested that we might try visiting like normal people sometime, in normal clothes, but I was unanimously outvoted. So this year we once again spent all morning dressing and preparing for the day. So many layers and laces.


I usually really enjoy a day at the festival but this year was a bit of a disappointment. Oh, they still had the chocolate booth and we watched a show we hadn't seen before. (Arsene of Paris was a silly french man who didn't speak but let us in on a few magic trick 'secrets' and juggled fire. Gabe loves anything with fire juggling. He is not allowed to, he's still working on 4 ball.) But we didn't have much time to window shop. We only got to stop at a few shops between being 2 hours late and needing frequent stops for 1 person or other.







The window shopping is an integral part of visiting the faire,especially if you are an artist. There are well over 200 artists at the faire selling any number of things. I love being able to ask the artist personally about their work, being able to see demonstrations or learn about new (old) forms of art. Many craftsmen there take pride in working the same way as, or offering the same products as would have been available in the 1500's. For the artists like that I expect to pay them well for what they are worth as I appreciate the work and workmanship that went into their wares.

I have a pair of leather shoes from Renaissance Moccasins that I bought about 10 years ago that are still in fabulous condition. They are so comfy. The artist makes each shoe from 1 piece of leather and she gives them a lifetime guarantee. If they ever need fixed-which mine never have- just send them in. Now some have told me that these shoes are too expensive. Over $50. But these are HANDMADE LEATHER shoes. Hello? A pair of Nike's costs at least that much and they are ugly junk that I know wont last that long. And if they wear out can you send them to Nike to get them fixed? No. Nice try.


The problem that I have been seeing though, is that there are just as many artists there that have been 'cutting corners' to make a buck. There were a couple shops that we visited, that I have purchased from before, that I was deeply disappointed in. The materials that they are using now are cheaper, flimsy, not as pretty or fancy, and yet they are charging the same or even more for these lesser quality items. Now I understand trying to keep costs down or dealing with inflation, but to switch from a nice quality product to something obviously inferior just doesn't sit well with me. Part of the appeal of the faire was the artist/customer relationship that blossoms in that type of environment. I imagine its like walking the main street stalls in old time England visiting with the person who actually created the thing, and even bartering a little sometimes.


One of the shops we visited used to be a favorite. I bought my self and my eldest daughter bodices there when she was little. (both of her sisters has since worn it) I have since sewn my own bodice that I usually wear, but this year I wore my old one to better facilitate Baby Boy's nursing needs. It's a beautiful bodice with several types of fabric patch worked together and that was actually the inspiration for the bodice I made a couple years ago. I love it's green and brown tones, the velvet and the brocade. I love how adjustable it is with the lacing, it's just a really nice garment all around. That they don't make anymore. Not only do they not make bodices like this anymore, but they were rather snide about it when Gabe asked. And the young girl that was 'helping' run their booth knew nothing about the product or company. (Nor did she endeavor to play the part and speak with a proper English accent. Another pet peeve of mine that has permeated the kingdom these last few years.) The bodices they sell now are all plain, 1 fabric (not even pretty fabrics) with no character, no imagination, no customer service, and no business from me.

I know not all the artists there have given up on their art or its quality just to 'do their job', but there were too many that did for my tastes. I so want to go back, though I don't think finances will allow, to visit all the shops that we missed, which was a lot. To visit all the shops that are still run by true artists that don't skimp on quality, who are happy to take a few moments to visit with you, with your kids, who will give you mini lessons and demonstrations , who are there because they love their art and they love to share with you. I want to go back and see some real art from real artists. And maybe get a bit more chocolate.
Baby Boy in his festival cloak. Baby moccasins dangle next to him.

Daughter #3 on the climbing wall. Yes, she went all the way to the top!

Daughter #1 at the archery booth

Daughter #2 at the archery booth


~Meliss















No comments:

Post a Comment