Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sew Much To Do...

(Lilliput)

I'm totally distracted. I guess I'm always distracted though. I think I'm gonna get "stuff" done but there's always something. I finally got Gabe to show me how to set up the computer to take photos for my Etsy shop, but he set up on his computer so I don't have the pictures until he transfers them. I should probably have him show me how to do that too.

This weekend is the first weekend of our local renaissance festival, which we attend every year. It's a great place to visit for an artist of any level. There are jewelry artists, painters, sculptors, metal smiths, leather workers, costumers, musicians and instrument makers, henna artists, artists who make masks, hair sticks, shoes, feather art, and the list goes on and on. So many have been regulars for as long as I've been going (17 years!) and there are many, many whose work I admire and aspire to. I also go for the chocolate booth which is just a round the corner from the petting zoo.

Now I know some people don't like the festival because there are some "weirdies" that work there but come on, there are "weirdies" at the mall. And Walmart. And just about anywhere you go. And no, there is not a larger concentration of them at the festival either. If someone is providing a service, or a piece of art that disagrees with my moral standing or conscience I avoid it, whether I'm at the mall or some other place. It doesn't mean I don't go shopping. But that's just me.
(Gabe in a slightly upgraded costume-he started out as a peasant. This was bought.)

Shortly after I met Gabe I learned that not only had he been to the faire near his home, but that he had worked at it. He worked for a leather shop watering the dirt. Yes, watering the dirt. He was later upgraded to hawking wares. He therefore had his own costume, and I had mine. Not cuz I worked there, just cuz I'm a dweeb. After we had kids we started to get them their own costumes and even upgrade our own. I've sewn at least half of them myself. I am currently working on a cloak that was supposed to be for my oldest daughter, I may wear it first though. I'm having trouble getting motivated to sew. I just realized that I don't really like to sew. Which is kinda strange. I like to make things and I like seeing the outcome of what I've sewn but the actual process of sewing always puts me a bit on edge. Not sure why, it also frustrates me because no matter how hard I try, my sewing is not as beautiful and straight as the work of so many other amazing seamstresses. And that's just annoying.
(I made this coat to mimic the one on Geoffrey in 'A knights tale' and bought the amazing leather top hat at the festival. I also made the sash to match.)

I have two days to finish the cloak (and hopefully a mini one too) and I know I can finish it in one. The question is will I? Or will I let myself get distracted by things and be up at midnight trying to finish? Or will my machine poop out? That tends to happen a lot when I'm almost done too. I bet I would really love sewing if my machine cooperated more. And did all the work. (I guess its a good thing I don't have to make everyone's clothes by hand, what a whiner I am.)
(This is the fabric that will soon be a cloak. I'm about 1/3 of the way there.)
(Baby boy testing out his costume. This one was bought at the Cali faire.)

I'd better get to bed, I've got work to do tomorrow.

Meliss

No comments:

Post a Comment